Scott wins three games in a week

Ron Gregory

December 24, 2013

It was a great week to be a Scott Skyhawk boys basketball fan last week as the team verified why it is one of the top teams in Class AA. With three consecutive wins over a six-day period, Scott picked up victories over Sissonville, Lincoln County and Fairmont Senior.

The week began with a visit to Kanawha County to take on the Sissonville Indians. In a hard-fought Cardinal Conference game, Coach Nick Cabell’s lads picked up a 59-47 victory.

Scott raced out to a 16-7 lead at the end of the first quarter and held a 32-26 halftime margin. It was 40-37, Scott, at the end of three periods before the Hawks put Sissonville away by winning the fourth frame, 19-10.

Three Scott players led the offense, with ten points each. Cody Brown, Eric May and Logan Webb were the leaders. Nick Kuhn added nine; Kirk Price, seven; Brandon Lafauci, four; Tanner Bell and Alex Ables, three each; Nick Dolan, two; and Dylyn Brown, one for the Hawks.

Scott-82; LCHS-44

There was no contest, really, as the Hawks rolled over visiting Lincoln County, Friday evening at Madison. The Class AAA team is among the worst in state high school ball and nothing happened Friday to change that image.

Starting three freshmen, LCHS Head Coach Rodney Plumley has hopes his team will improve by season’s end.

The opening tip actually went to Lincoln County and Andrew Davis, a junior, scored first to put the Panthers up, 2-0. May quickly came back with a layup at the 7:24 mark and it was 2-2. With 6:58 showing, Price stole the ball and put it in to double the score. A layup by Jacob Kirkendoll evened the count before May put the Hawks ahead with another one in close.

Schylar Kelley tied it at 6-6 with a steal and layup. Several offensive miscues by both teams followed before Alex Ables put back a miss with 4:19 showing on the clock. Lafouci hit a jumper and was fouled with 2:37 remaining in the first. His made free throw brought the lead to 11-6.

Davis connected on a layup and it was 11-8. Then a layup by Ables made it 13-8, Scott. Jake Reynolds hit a driving bucket for LCHS before Dylan DeHart connected ob a trey to bring the count to 16-10 with 40.6 seconds flashing.

A driving layup by Reynolds and a bucket by Ables finished the first quarter scoring with Scott on top, 18-12.

It was Skyhawk ball to start the second period and DeHart hit another three with 7:15 showing to make it 21-12 and the rout was underway. Davis made a free throw and Reynolds hit a pair and a layup to put LCHS back into the game briefly at the 5:21 spot. But a free throw followed by a layup from Ables and the Hawks led, 24-17. That led to a Plumley timeout with 4:07 remaining in the half.

The LCHS coach had to desperately call another time when his charges could not get the ball across the 10-second line at 3:58. After the timeout, Adkins drilled two free throws for the Panthers.

Lafouci hit a three-pointer followed by a layup and it was 29-19. A made free throw by Adkins cut the margin to nine before a layup by Ables and a putback by May brought it to 33-20 with 1:12 on the clock.

Kelley made two free throws but Scott answered with two straight treys by Lafouci to take the teams into intermission with the Skyhawks up, 39-22.

With little to cheer about, the 75 or so LCHS fans in attendance awaited a second half that was even more tilted toward the home team.

DeHart kicked off the third period with a trey and Webb stole the ball and was fouled hard by a Panther. His two made free throws brought the margin to 44-22. Davis silenced the ecstatic Hawk crowd with a driving layup before Webb and May connected on layups to give Scott a 48-24 lead with 5:37 left in the third.

A Reynolds layup cut the lead but Price quickly answered with a putback as Plumley signaled for a timeout.

The break signaled a brief spurt by LCHS as Kirkendoll and Reynolds connected on layups to make it 50-30 just inside the four-minute mark. Buckets by Lafouci and Ables made it 54-30 before a layup by Kirkendoll cut the margin to 22.

Scott scored four more on two layups before freshman point guard Corey Rusk connected on a trey for LCHS to bring it to 58-35. Two buckets by Scott and a free throw by Lincoln County ended the third period with the Skyhawks on top, 62-36.

It was Panther ball to start the fourth quarter but both LCHS and the Hawks lost the ball out-of-bounds to get things underway. Finally, Price stole the ball and put it in to give Scott a 64-36 lead with 6:46 remaining in the game.

Rusk followed by making one of two free throws. Scott then went on a tear, with a deep three-pointer by Lafauci kicking it off to the delight of the Hawk fans. As they went to the 3:30 mark, Price score a layup, Lafouci hit a long deuce and Tanner Bell scored a bucket to make it 73-37. Kelley stopped the run with a bucket of his own for the Panthers.

Davis drilled a trey and LCHS had cut the margin to 73-42. That’s when Scott went on another tear, this time extending the lead to 82-42 with 48.2 seconds left. Working with back-up players, Patrick Underwood hit two quick buckets, a deuce and a trey. Bell then made a layup followed by a driving layup.

Kelley, a junior, stole the ball and put it in with 3.4 seconds left for the final 82-44 Scott margin.

Scott-66; Fairmont Senior-59

A sparse “crowd” at the Charleston Civic Center saw another round of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Hoops Classic. Games were also billed as the “Big 10-Cardinal Conference Challenge,” although the Cardinal did not do well in the pairings.

Playing without their head coach, David Retton, who was hospitalized with an infection, Fairmont nevertheless put up a bold fight on a extremely warm December Saturday evening.

With the previous game running well over the scheduled ending time, Wayne eked out a win over Phillip-Barbour, 57-52. That set up the start of the Scott-Fairmont Senior game for about 7:49 instead of the scheduled 6:30 p.m.

Webb got the Hawks started quickly with a layup but Blake Cehajie answered and it was 2-2. A May three-pointer stretched the margin to 5-2. Following a Fairmont timeout by Acting Coach Frank Skubis, the Polar Bears cut the lead to 5-4 with a putback by Cehajie.

At the 4:46 mark, Scott star Anthony Sigmon entered the line-up. Sigmon had been suspended for two games due to the brawl that took place in the Logan-Scott game at Chapmanville.

Sigmon immediately made his presence felt in the game. At 4:41, he hit a follow-up and it was 7-4. Darhius Nunn then drilled a trey to tie the game. But Cody Brown answered with a three of his own and it was 10-7 with 3:38 on the clock.Cehajie cut the lead to 10-9 with a bucket before Webb answered to up the margin to three.

Nunn then swished a trey to tie the score before a Sigmon putback gave the Skyhawks a 14-12 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Fairmont Senior got the ball to start the second period but, with 7:09 on the clock, Sigmon hit a layup and Scott led, 16-12. After a free throw, Sigmon was good on another putback and Scott led, 19-12, at the 6:14 mark.

A jump shot by Sigmon added to the lead before Tavon Morton made a free throw and it was 21-13. With 4:11 on the first half clock, Michale Hollou made a trey to cut the lead by three. Sigmon answered with a layup and it was 23-16.

Nunn and Webb traded baskets before Lafauci hit one in close to give the Hawks a 27-18 lead at the 2:26 spot. Ables was fouled on a putback try and his made free throws put Scott up by 11. Kuhn followed with two made foul shots at the 1:55 mark and it was 31-18.

Ables made one of two free throw tries before Cehajie answered with a bucket. A tip-in by Ables brought the lead to 34-20 with 51 seconds left. Joseph Leone hit a free throw and folowed with a putback at the buzzer to cut the halftime lead to 34-23.

As Sigmon received attention from medics due to a bloody spot near his left knee, Scott prepared for the second half. The ball was out to the Polar Bears.

After several offensive miscues by both teams, Webb started the second half scoring with a layup followed by a Price layup and it was 38-23, Scott, with 6:36 left in the game. Nunn hit one in close before Price made two free throws.

A breakaway layup with 4:59 flashing gave the Hawks a 42-25 edge. Leone followed with two free throws before Kuhn slammed a putback. At 3:54, Leone cut it to 44-29 with a bucket. Then, he drilled a three and it was 44-32.

Following a Scott timeout, Webb traveled and the Polar Bears had the ball and momentum. A putback by Hollou brought the margin to ten before Cody Brown double-dribbled, giving the ball back to Fairmont. The Bears could not convert, however.

May was fouled on a shot try and his made free throws brought it to 46-34. Then, Scott turned it over again on a five-second held ball call. That led to a long trey by Nunn to excite the small Fairmont contingent. Brown made a bucket near the buzzer and the third period ended with Scott up, 48-37.

Although the Polar Bears got the ball to start the final frame, Scott got the turnover and Price made a free throw to bring it to 49-37. A long trey by Nunn cut it the lead to nine but Brown made two free throws and the margin was back to 51-40.

Nunn continued to light up the Civic Center, as he drilled another NBA-length trey to cut it to 51-43 with 6:48 remaining. Webb hit one in close but Morton answered with a driving layup. The Bears then stole the ball but missed three straight shots before Leone was fouled. His one made free throw made the lead just seven.

With 5:01 on the clock, Kuhn made one of two free throw tries and it was 54-46. Sigmon followed with a layup to stretch the margin to nine. At the 3:34 mark, a Sigmon goal made the score 57-46. An acrobatic trey by Nunn, with twists and turns, made it 57-49.

Isaac Childers cut it to 58-51 before two free throws by May increased the lead to 60-51 at the 1:42 spot. A trey by Hollou cut the lead to six before Brown made a foul shot to make it 61-54 with 1:05 remaining in the game.

A layup by Childers cut it to 61-56 before two free throws by Price extended the lead to seven with 43.8 seconds left. Hallou drilled a trey before Lafauci connected on a free throw and it was 64-59. With 12.9 remaining, May calmly sank two free throws to ice the win at 66-59.

The Hawks were scheduled to host Cardinal rival Wayne, Monday, December 23, before taking a holiday break. They resume action December 28.