Circuit Court News

Staff Report

MADISON, W.Va – Eddie Wayne Carpenter, 31, of Orgas, was sentenced to probation Wednesday, March 29 in Boone County Circuit Court.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Boone County Magistrate Court, the Boone County Sheriff’s Department determined Carpenter, who was 30 at the time, had sexual intercourse with a 14 year old female.

Carpenter was arrested for the crime of sexual assault in the third degree, and a Boone County grand jury indicted him last September. In January, Carpenter appeared in Boone County Circuit Court where he pleaded guilty to third degree sexual assault.

Back for sentencing on Wednesday, March 29, Carpenter appeared before Judge William Thompson, and asked the Judge for probation. Judge Thompson agreed, and he placed Carpenter on probation for a period of 60 months.

Carpenter faces up to five years in prison if he violates probation.

Corporal Michael Foster from the Boone County Sheriff’s Department investigated the case. Assistant Prosecutor Jennifer Anderson handled the prosecution.

A Boone County man was found guilty at trial last week for robbery and assault during the commission of a felony. James Ray Cantley, 43, of Peytona was accused of robbing the Costa IGA in June 2015.

Boone County deputies received a call from the store owner of the Costa IGA that a man had attempted to rob the store. Upon arriving at the store, deputies found Cantley restrained with zip ties after an altercation with the store owner and a customer.

When questioned, the store owner said that Cantley entered the store and proceeded to get a six pack of beer from the cooler. He then approached the counter, and he took money from the register. The store owner confronted Cantley who attempted to strike the owner with the six pack of beer.

When the beer fell to the floor and shattered, Cantley began striking the owner with his fist. That is when a customer intervened.

As the altercation moved to just outside the door, the owner and customer were able to overcome Cantley and held him until the deputies arrived.

The store owner also recovered the $150 cash stolen from the register.

When deputies approached Cantley at the scene, he told them that he was guilty, he robbed the store, and he did it to get his fix. He went on to tell deputies he was high on methamphetamine.

The store owner and the customer received minor injuries from the altercation.

Following a two day trial, a jury returned a guilty verdict on both counts.

Cantley faces a minimum of ten years when sentenced. The parties returned to court on Wednesday, April 12 for post-trial motions. Sentencing will occur at a later date.

Deputies Keadle and Dingess investigated the matter. Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Jennifer Anderson prosecuted the case.

Staff Report

comments powered by Disqus