coalvalleynews.com

Whitesville man dies in trailer home fire

Alex Snyder
WSAZ.COM

12 months 2 hours ago |355 Views | | | Email | Print

WHITESVILLE — Not much is left of a trailer home that went up in flames, killing one man and injuring two others.


“There were no smoke detectors in the home — we couldn’t find any but with the damage that doesn’t mean a whole lot,” assistant state fire marshal Jason Baltic said. “I have not been told about a smoke detector in the home — as far as we know there were not any.”


Just before 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, a trailer along Route 3 near Whitesville in Boone County caught fire.


Three people were inside at the time of the fire.


Investigators say all three made it out safely, however they believe an 18-year-old boy went back inside the home to try and save the family pets.


Family members say the boy never came back out. The 18-year-old, along with a bird and a dog, died in the fire.


Another person had to be taken to the hospital, according to fire investigators.


“The one gentleman is home, he had some smoke inhalation but minor, but he stayed at home,” Baltic said. “A female out of the residence was transported to the hospital with what appears probably smoke inhalation.”


The fire was so intense that it ignited an oxygen tank that exploded and blew half the trailer into pieces, scattering debris around the yard. Baltic says what’s left on the inside is unrecognizable.


“If there is a fire get out of the house, get out of the trailer, whatever you’re in get outside and stay out — don’t go back in for anything — no matter what don’t go back in, stay out,” Baltic said.


The cause of the fire is being considered an accident and may have been smoking related. The state medical examiner hasn’t released the name of the man who died.

Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Weather

Sponsored By:

Local Gas Prices

Lowest Gas Prices in Madison
Madison Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com

Featured Business